Ever since Olivia first showed signs of eczema, we've had doctors advise us to keep stuffed animals to a bare minimum in our home. In addition to holding dust, they can also hold other common environmental allergens which can be eczema triggers. This was sad news for us at first since what parent doesn't want their children to have something soft to cuddle, but we adjusted and told family and friends to please not purchase these things for her since it's too hard to take it away once she's seen it. As expected, the plan didn't go completely smoothly and people forgot and/or just couldn't resist purchasing these things for her so we have a decent stuffed animal stash in our house just like most families. Short of purchasing her a lovie which I wash in hot water weekly, Matt and I have not purchased any of these animals, they have all been gifts.
Around 18 or 19 months, Olivia started to take a real interest in her stuffed toys and they began making appearances outside of the toy box much more frequently. Around 23 months, she began to want to sleep with them in her crib. At first we tried to limit it to only one or two, but she was so insistent we just gave in. It's been interesting to watch the process unfold since she now has a select group of what SHE calls "The Animals" that MUST be present for all activities inside the home. This means, The Animals come downstairs with us in the morning, they go upstairs with us at nap time and night time and any other time in between. We even have a laundry basket that we use JUST for the toting of these stuffed delights. We have managed to avoid taking The Animals outside of the home as I put my foot down when it comes to things she sleeps with being also dragged around Target (can I get a collective "eww" on that one)? Occasionally, if we are having a rough day or if I'm feeling incredibly soft we will take ONE of The Animals in the car with us but that's as far as they go.
What's interesting about this exclusive club is that not ALL of her stuffed toys have made the cut. She picked a select few that she apparently finds much more worthy than the rest and those and only those are part of The Animals. The Animals also include two blankets. Not sure how this happened, but it is the case. One of the blankets is one I had pulled out to wash up for the new baby, more of a lovie size, and one is a blanket that came with Duckie, a founding member of The Animals. The exclusive club consists of the following:
~Bunny the lovie~
~The Cream One (cream blanket)~

~Doggie (a poodle puppet that I guess can pass for a stuffed animal)~
~Duckie~
~Lambie~
~The Yellow One (yellow blanket)~
and of course...
Stuffed toys that did not make the cut include 2 pillow pets, a llama, a giraffe, and another bunny rabbit.
~The Cast Off's~

Before bedtime: we have to have ALL of The Animals on our lap while we read stories and say prayers.
The whole clan together
Back Row, from left: Duckie (sporting a workout headband, not sure why), Doggie
As much of a pain as it is now to lug these stuffed treasures around the house all day long, I know I will want to remember this time someday and tell her about it when she's older. As I write this, Elmo is sporting a cloth diaper and the rest of The Animals are "taking a nap" in her new purple chair. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment